The Right SPF for You
Here's an idea of what level of protection you should use, according to skin type:
- Fair or light-skinned … have freckles … never tan … burn easily … are sensitive to the sun … SPF 25
- Medium skin … olive complexioned … of Mediterranean origin, such as Italian … tan easily … SPF 15
- Dark skin … Arab, Asian or African American … tan very easily … start with SPF 15, but can taper down to SPF 6 after tan develops
- The sun is the strongest between 10am and 3pm , and even stronger in the summer and closer to the equator.
- Remember, you don't have to be at the beach to wind up with sunburn -- any exposure to the sun makes you vulnerable. Note: The best way to completely block the sun is to wear a wide-brimmed hat, clothing and sunglasses.