Saturday, June 9, 2012

Choosing the right SPF

With so many choices these days how do choose which SPF is right for you? I can't tell you how many times I have walked into the store for some sunscreen only to get to the aisle and see 100's of different types and brands. In my mind I think Okay the higher the better. Not so true. I have tried so many different strengths and most of the time I end up burning anyway. So this summer I decided to do a bit of research to see if I could find some help. This is what I found. 
                                                                   The Right SPF for You
 Here's an idea of what level of protection you should use, according to skin type:

  • Fair or light-skinned … have freckles … never tan … burn easily … are sensitive to the sun … SPF 25 
  • Medium skin … olive complexioned … of Mediterranean origin, such as Italian … tan easily … SPF 15 
  • Dark skin … Arab, Asian or African American … tan very easily … start with SPF 15, but can taper down to SPF 6 after tan develops 
  • The sun is the strongest between 10am and 3pm , and even stronger in the summer and closer to the equator. 
  • Remember, you don't have to be at the beach to wind up with sunburn -- any exposure to the sun makes you vulnerable. Note: The best way to completely block the sun is to wear a wide-brimmed hat, clothing and sunglasses. 

No comments:

Post a Comment