Saturday, June 16, 2012

Making baked beans Frugal style

       It's Summer time!!! That means Barbecues and good food with family and friends. We LOVE barbecuing with our family but hate to spend a fortune on food. I have learned that not everything has to be expensive because we all know that just meat itself costs alot of money. I am considered an experimental cook in my kitchen. One night I looked in my pantry and realized I had no baked beans, just a few cans of pork'n beans. 
       Pork and beans are okay, but baked beans are delicious!! So I grabbed my 4 cans of pork and beans and thought hmmm how can i turn these from dull to awesome!!
       Here is what i came up with. Take your pork and beans and pour them into a large pot. Sprinkle some dried minced onions over the top and stir in, now add some dark molasses, not alot but enough to make the sauce dark and thick, also if you like a little kick add about 2 teaspoons of smoked paprika (bought mine at amazon.com) then add about 2 Tablespoons of coconut crystals (also available at amazon,.com) or if you prefer : brown sugar....mix all until blended and just heat over low heat. I have to admit that these came out WAY better than any canned baked beans and it was cheaper to make than buying 4 cans :) Delicious!!


Here are the ingredients I used :)


No comments:

Post a Comment